Installing the Extension#
To add the extension to Microsoft Edge, visit our listing on the Microsoft Edge Marketplace.
Once you've added it to Edge, refresh your browser, and you'll see the Pieces buttons appear below code blocks on the web.
Where are my Saved Snippets Stored?#
The Pieces Suite must be downloaded and installed separately from the Edge Addon in order for the extension to work properly.
- When you save code snippets with Pieces, they're stored locally in the Pieces desktop app.
- When you save a snippet, Pieces also saves metadata such as the origin of the snippet, tags, titles, descriptions, and more.
To view and reuse your snippets, just open the Pieces desktop app and scroll through the carousel.
What Does the Share Button Do?#
When you click the Share button below a code block, Pieces generates a link that's specifically designed to share useful code with its context— it's automatically copied to your clipboard once it's generated.
This means that instead of copying code and pasting it into a message, you can create a Pieces link that shares the code and maintains formatting, syntax highlighting, and relevant tags.
The recipient will also get the title, description, related links, and other context about the snippet.
What are Discovered Snippets?#
When you click the Pieces icon to open the extension popover menu, you'll see all of the snippets that the Pieces Edge Addon has discovered on that webpage. From this menu, you can easily save any relevant snippets without scrolling back through long pages.
What are the Recently Discovered snippets in my Snippet History?#
From the addon's popover menu, you can view your Snippet History. This is a list of the last 100 snippets you've come across on the web, or the last 5 sites you've visited. From here, you can save a snippet without returning to that page. You can adjust the number of sites whose snippets Pieces will remember in the addon settings.
Why aren't the Pieces Buttons appearing?#
There are a few reasons why the Pieces buttons may not be appearing:
- Pieces OS isn't running.
- To double-check that Pieces OS is running, make sure that the Pieces logo is present in your toolbar (on MacOS) or your task bar (on Windows). If it isn't there, please launch Pieces OS by clicking on Pieces OS in your Applications folder.
- If you need to download and install Pieces OS, please visit our homepage.
- You've disabled the Pieces buttons for this website.
- Double-check that you haven't disabled the Pieces buttons for this site by navigating to the Edge Addon settings. If you enable the Pieces buttons, the page will automatically refresh and the buttons should appear.
- This website doesn't have detectable code. The code on this site might be embedded in an iframe or rendered in a way we haven't encountered before! Please send us the site and we'll work on supporting it.
How do I remove the Pieces Buttons from a site?#
If you don't want the Pieces Buttons to appear on a certain website, you can disable them for that site in the addon settings.
- Right-click the Pieces icon in the top right corner of your browser and choose “Settings.”
- Toggle the "Disable Pieces buttons" option. The page will automatically refresh and the Pieces buttons will disappear.
Can I Customize the Pieces Addon?#
Definitely! To customize your Pieces Edge Addon experience, click on the Pieces icon in the upper right corner of your browser.
Hit the Settings icon in the top right and set your preferences.
You can adjust the following Settings for the Pieces Edge Addon:
- The placement of the Pieces buttons
- Toggle between dark mode and light mode
- Decide if you'd like Pieces buttons to be enabled or disabled on a webpage by default
- Manage your website blacklist
- Adjust the minimum number of characters necessary to recognize a code block
- Adjust the functionality of the Copy & Save Button
How do I uninstall the Pieces Edge Addon?#
To uninstall Pieces:
- Click the Extensions button in the top right corner of your Edge window
- Choose "More Actions" next to the Pieces for Developers Edge Addon
- Select "Remove from Microsoft Edge"